Free contractor & subcontractor invoice templates
Independent contractors and sub contractors need to invoice to charge for and get paid for their work. However, invoicing can get neglected when you’re busy being self-employed.
You can prepare simple invoices as a contractor by downloading our contractor invoice templates for free. Each of our contractor invoice templates guide you through outlining billing information to ensure you get paid on time by client. Your invoices will include a summary of your contractor services, pricing and payment deadlines.
Download free invoice templates by Job or Business Types
How do I bill as a contractor or sub contractor?
as a contractor, it’s important to send formal invoices to bill clients. Your invoice should look professional as a representation of your contractor business. Your invoices also need to clearly outline important information that is needed for you to get paid. Details to include on your invoices to get paid on time as an independent contractor include:
- Your contact and business information
- Your customer’s contact information
- Unique invoice number that can be used as a reference point for communications between you and your client
- Date/s of contractor services provided
- Invoice issue date
- Payment due date
- Contractor work duties performed or items provided with a brief description
- Amount of labour time or number of items provided
- Costs for materials, items or services. You may customize pricing for contractor services to be flat-rate fees or hourly rates.
- Total cost of all the line items including goods and contractor services
- Any tax payable
- Total amount due to be paid by your client
- How the payment is structured including whether deposits are required and how the balance is to be paid
- Accepted payment methods including bank transfer details
- Terms and conditions particularly around payment, including late fee policies.
- Any additional information like licenses that you hold or project timelines
How do I make an invoice with a contractor invoice template?
Using a contractor invoice template saves you time by removing the need to spend time on invoice formats and design. You don’t have to start from scratch. Download our invoice templates for independent contractors for free and customize a set invoice template with your business branding and details.
To make an invoice, fill out all the key sections with the contractor services you are providing. Make sure you give your invoice a unique invoice number for record-keeping. Add any job or industry specific sections. For more information, check out our blog posts on what is an invoice and how to make an invoice.
Alternatively, you can use an invoice generator like the Bookipi invoice app. Everything that your contractor invoice needs is outlined for you to add and generate an invoice in a matter of clicks. You are alerted to any missing important information before you send an invoice.
How can I make quick invoices when I have many jobs as a contractor?
While using contractor invoice templates can be helpful for contractors, you may still need to spend time correcting design elements. You may also struggle keeping records of your repeat customers’ details. On top of all this, it can be hard to sort through past invoices when you need to refer to them.
A better alternative for contractors who have many jobs is using an invoice generator like Bookipi Invoice. Design is taken care of so that you can make professional and concise invoices in minutes. Your invoice items and customers are saved across multiple devices including mobile app and web. You can easily add saved item and customer details to future invoices. Stay organized as your invoices are automatically organised and sorted based on issue date or invoice number. Other great features of our simple invoice maker and organizer include being able to add terms and conditions, signatures and integrate with credit card payments.